Thursday 2 October 2008

The Russians are coming!

The first Russian troops have been dispatched and should be here tomorrow. Soon as I have them washed in detergent and dried I'll get the first battalion based and undercoated. As with my previous Napoleonic blog I'll take pictures stage by stage as painting progresses. This is the part of the hobby I enjoy most. I'll be using a standard black undercoat then using the Foundry paint system, shade/base/highlight colours as supplied. Been reading and researching furiously!

To get you in the mood here's a quote from the pre battle speech given to the Highland Brigade (The 93rd, The Camerons & The Black watch 42nd) at The Battle of The Alma by the brigade commander Sir Colin Campbell. Campbell was an old veteran with 44 years distinguished service,and had seen action under Moore and Wellington. He had fought all over the world and had been wounded four times in action. No other brigade commander in the Crimea was as respected by his soldiers.

" Now men, you are going into action. Remember this: whoever is wounded - I dont care what his rank is - whoever it is must lie down where he falls till the bandsmen come to attend him. No soldier must go carrying off wounded men...... Don't be in a hurry about firing, your officers will tell you when to do so. Be steady. Keep silent & fire low".

The brigade broke the vast Russian columns that day with their steady fire and discipline. Campbell had his horse shot from under him. Afterwards he was seen to approach Lord Raglan with tears in eyes and asked permission to wear a Scottish bonnet as his men had done so well which Raglan granted with a smile and a nod sensing the emotion of the moment.

Hopefully the above will impart some of the passion I feel for this much neglected period.

2 comments:

rpardo said...

Glad to visit your new blog... I'll come back!
Regards
Rafa

Stryker said...

Hi Lee

Looks like Rafa beat me to it to be the first to comment on your blog! It sounds like a great project and I am looking forward to seeing the first figures painted. I will add a link to my blog next time I do an update,

Ian